Take time to unwind…
It’s healthy to relax, renew, and rejuvenate…
Stress happens. Sometimes it’s unavoidable, at times it’s unbearable. That’s why taking time for yourself is a necessity.
Combat Your Stress
With National Stress Awareness Month approaching, remember to take the time to combat your stress. HR Professionals can promote Stress Awareness in the workplace with themed recognition items or events throughout the month of April. Partner with local Health Counselors to educate your organization about Stress, in the workplace and throughout individual personal lives. If employees suffer from chronic stress and believe they can’t influence or change the situation, this presents you with the opportunity to help change their approach. Work with them to identify areas of stress and help them be willing to be flexible. Remember, everyone has the ability to choose their response to stressors, and there are various options your workplace can try together.
There are a number of cost effective, fun items any Human Resource Department can incorporate into their recognition themed events or pieces. Some companies understand the impact stress can have on their overall bottom line performance. Other organizations enjoy taking opportunities to be actively involved in the lives of their employees or their local communities. National Stress Awareness Month is a great opportunity for HR to partner with Marketing (department or efforts) to have the company logo custom imprinted on promotional products.
Any Promo Inc. offers merchandise from over 200 of the leading Promotional Products suppliers such as BIC, Gildan, Swiss Army, and Waterman. They have over 200,000 of products, colors, and designs covering more than 50 premium categories and brands. Check out items like these Earth shaped, Personalized Baseball or Logo Imprinted Beach Ball shaped Stress Ball by using Any Promo Inc.‘s comprehensive search engine. They will help you find the exact product you’re looking for, and allow you to search for items based on product category, budget, and turnaround time. Any Promo Inc. offers free samples, free art service and free proofs – which is risk-free for your company. New customers can take advantage of featured Deals of the Week and receive 10% off on their first orders!
Depending on your resources to allocate towards recognizing National Stress Awareness Month – or your office/workplace setting, HR Managers can also arrange for local chiropractors that offer to come into the office to educate groups of associates and offer free massages to your employees. Other ideas to partner with local small businesses include partnering with local health, nutrition, wellness or yoga clinics. Yelp is a great App/Website to use to help you get started and find out what nearby options you have.
Some other resources HR or Marketing Departments can utilize to promote Stress Awareness include:
- Partner with your local Department of Health and Human Services or the Federal Occupational Health Department’s Health Campaign for Stress.
- Gather ideas from Newspaper or Magazine Articles on Ways to Help De-Stress for National Stress Awareness Month – such as this one written by the Huffington Post
- Get informed about the statistics surrounding the impact of stress in the workplace through the American Psychological Association’s Survey, the American Institute of Stress or articles in Business Magazines such as this one written in Forbes in 2012.
- Partner with your Employee Assistance Programs or Work-Life Programs to promote education of initiatives to enhance physical and emotional well-being. If your company does not offer these programs, take the initiative to start them or seek out information from outside Human Resource Firms like Harris Rothenberg International’s “Workplace Insight Report” that shines disturbing light on stress at work.
Here are some tips about stress to help educate your company leadership for promoting awareness:
- Recognize when you don’t have control, and let it go.
- Don’t get anxious about situations that you cannot change.
- Take control of your own reactions, and focus on what makes you feel calm and in control. This may take some practice, but it pays off in peace of mind.
- Develop a vision for healthy living, wellness, and personal- professional growth.
- Set realistic goals to help you realize your vision.
Relax and Recharge
Be sure to make time for fun and relaxation so you’ll be better able to handle life’s stressors. Encourage employees to carve some time out of the day – even 10 to 15 minutes – to take care of themselves. Also, remember that exercise is an excellent stress reliever. Less stressed employees make up a more productive organization.
Everyone is different, and so are the ways they like to relax and unwind. Here are some ideas to promote in your HR and Company Communications throughout the next month:
- Take a walk
- Read a book
- Go for a run
- Have a cup of tea
- Play a sport
- Spend time with a friend or loved one
- Meditate (learn how in the sidebar)
- Do yoga
While you can’t avoid stress, you can minimize it by changing how you choose to respond to it. The ultimate reward for your efforts is a healthy, balanced life, with time for work, relationships, relaxation, and fun.
HR Managers can stay connected to LPHR’s Recognition Calendars, Tips and Toolkits by visiting www.lphr.co and subscribing to receive the latest each month. LPHR believes in HR and Recognition Made Simple. Each month, LPHR sends out a free Recognition Guide to HR Managers with easy to implement ways to create a culture where employees feel valued and appreciated.
LPHR connects you with resources, tools and info that support progressive growth – for your business and your life. Remember to visit our website at www.lphr.co, find us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/LPHRs and follow us on Twitter @lphrgroup.